Fellows will be placed to work at environmental organizations throughout the Sierra to help build their organization and region’s capacity to complete meaningful forest health work. The positions available for 2021 will be based in Chico or Mammoth Lakes, CA.
The program is seeking enthusiastic, conservation-minded people to commit to a year-long fellowship working to restore Sierra forests and build resilient communities. The Sierra Corps Fellowship Program is not an entry level internship program. Applicants are expected to have experience in conservation planning, monitoring and assessment, and/or restoration implementation, ideally with a forestry emphasis.
Required Qualifications: Each Fellowship Position has unique requirements related to the position’s function and these will be included in the Host Site specific position descriptions when they become available on September 9, 2020. The Sierra Corps Program has the following general requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED (higher education degrees are strongly recommended)
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old
- Must be able to pass criminal background check
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Environmental Science, or other related field OR at least2 years of forestry vocational training and education
- At least 1year of experience with forest health monitoring and assessment
- At least 2 years combined experience in:
- forest health monitoring and assessment
- conservation planning
- project management
- environmental analysis and research
- Knowledge of CEQA/NEPA regulations and documentation
- Strong technical writing skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Experience facilitating meetings
- Ability to work independently and with little oversight
- Confidence and ability to manage multiple projects
- Experience with grant writing or a willingness to learn grant writing skills quickly
- Strong desire to work in a forest health related career, ideally in the Sierra
- Passion for conservation of the Sierra
Additional qualifications are dependent on specific positions and will be noted in Host Site Position Descriptions that can be found at the top left section of this page.
Applications accepted until October 12, 2020.